History of the Three Bear Inn
The Marathon, NY area was well known in colonial times as a summer camping ground of the Seneca, Cayuga and Onondaga Indians. Hatchets and arrowheads have been found in the Inn area.
In 1794, a Dr. Hunt settled here and his name is all familiar on both geography and descendants. When Abraham Brink, (son of William Brink, a Revolutionary War officer during the Wyoming Valley Massacre) ascended the Tioughnioga by canoe in 1799, he was only the second settler. Brink built and operated a log cabin tavern located about the present center of the street in front of the Inn.
Brink's Tavern was an early landmark. It was a point of reference for locations in written accounts from the early 1800s.
The building, know as the Brink Homestead, was erected about 1820-1840. There have been four major and many minor expansions since then. The attic has produced items such as Civil War commissions, Ku Klux Klan artifacts and Boston newspapers from the 1850's.
The Three Bear Inn, known as the Hotel Marathon, in the early 1920's took it's final name from the three great bearskins that once hung in front.
|| Main Page | History | Restaurant | Bar | Motel | Photo Gallery | Directions/Map | Events | Community|